TGPR spring PDX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGPR spring PDX

Do you guys know if the double hoop roll bar I have (I think it's this one http://www.gomiata.com/doublehoop.html ) will work for PDX or will I have to run with the hard top on?
    Delanie Calhoun
    '90 Spec Miata
    '13 Ford Focus ST

You will get better aero with the hardtop on (less drag).

Comment

It depends on the bar and how well you pass the "broomstick test". I would plan to have the hardtop on...it just makes everything easier. Actually, I would have never considered running my Miata on track without the hardtop anyway.
      Rod H
      Bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Comment

Is the hard top really that much safer? I thought it would just fly off in a rollover situation.
        Delanie Calhoun
        '90 Spec Miata
        '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

It's safety is hotly debated and really not the point. The fact of the matter is having a roll bar & a hardtop will tend to get you on any track with any group. Some organizers/tracks will not allow convertibles top down on track so without the HT you'd have to run soft top up. Some will require seat, harness, & arm restraints unless you have a HT. Others will only let you out with the HT. And still others will let you run around top down with your head clearly above the roll bar & stock seats/belts.

BTW, I have seen all of the above at Barber at events I've either run or worked corners. I know you are primarily concerned about TGPR, but this is just an example of the importance of reading an event's supps. Just 'cause you've seen one thing allowed at a given track doesn't mean it will be that way with another group.

Since you have a HT already it would be simplest to just plan to use it, especially since you do not have softtop. If you get somewhere and it is okay to go topless you can always take it off.
          Rod H

Comment

Originally posted by rodhx View Post
            It's safety is hotly debated and really not the point. The fact of the matter is having a roll bar & a hardtop will tend to get you on any track with any group. Some organizers/tracks will not allow convertibles top down on track so without the HT you'd have to run soft top up. Some will require seat, harness, & arm restraints unless you have a HT. Others will only let you out with the HT. And still others will let you run around top down with your head clearly above the roll bar & stock seats/belts.

BTW, I have seen all of the above at Barber at events I've either run or worked corners. I know you are primarily concerned about TGPR, but this is just an example of the importance of reading an event's supps. Just 'cause you've seen one thing allowed at a given track doesn't mean it will be that way with another group.

Since you have a HT already it would be simplest to just plan to use it, especially since you do not have softtop. If you get somewhere and it is okay to go topless you can always take it off.
            This is what I do
            Heath Patterson
            "Look...both....It's like turbo." - C

Comment

LOL Heath. He just laid it out there for ya.

Yeah, the two track events I've done were pretty much anything goes and not very educational either. I'm looking forward to getting some actual instruction. I'm like 90% sure I'm doing it. The hard top will be with me either way. With the way the seats are mounted in that car, it's just easier to get in and out without the top. .... and the feeling of the wind through your hair ... or visor I guess ...
              Delanie Calhoun
              '90 Spec Miata
              '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

The only other thing to consider with the PDX is not only do you need to pass the broomstick test, but your instructor needs adequate protection also. It will ultimately be your instructor's call whether they feel safe in the car.

That being said, as an instructor, I would be fine with the car as long as I can trust the student. I would be more comfortable with a hardtop just for less noise and chance of debris in the car.
                Casey Stallings
                caseystallings@live.com

It's all fun and games until someone loses an everything.

Comment

Yeah, I'm fine at 5' 9" but anyone much taller than that would be a problem. Rod drove the car briefly with the top on and he said his helmet was hitting the roof. Hopefully I can get a more miata sized instructor, heh. I suppose I should look at some different seat brackets in the relatively near future. I appreciate the help guys!
                  Delanie Calhoun
                  '90 Spec Miata
                  '13 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Yep...your mounts have the race seat higher than a stock seat. That and it's too narrow for a fat old man like me
                    Rod H

Comment

I've heard some Miata folk say that they've taken padding out of the seat to get more head clearance. Personally, I've never had to worry about that issue.
                      Last edited by chuck schultz; 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM. Reason: past tense of take is taken, duh
                      Chuck Schultz
                      Another black(ish) Miata
                      2007 Jetta GLI Fahrenheit

http://csgoodphotos.com or http://art.csgoodphotos.com

Comment

too narrow
                        Have somebody you trust hold your wallet.
                        Last edited by chuck schultz; 03-15-2013, 09:25 AM. Reason: the whole trust thing
                        Chuck Schultz
                        Another black(ish) Miata

Comment

race seat
                          Disregard previous comment about padding, then.
                          Chuck Schultz
                          Another black(ish) Miata

Comment

Originally posted by chuck schultz View Post
                            Have somebody you trust hold your wallet.
                            We're talking about race cars...my wallet actually has a negative thickness
                            Rod H

Comment

We're talking about race cars...my wallet actually has a negative thickness
                              ^^^this
                              Heath Patterson
                              "Look...both....It's like turbo." - C

Comment

Working...
                              X