Alabama Region Sports Car Club of America  

Go Back   Alabama Region Sports Car Club of America > Resources > Worker Opportunities

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Default Barber 2016 Club Race Workers

Tennessee Valley Region and Alabama Region of the SCCA are co-sponsoring a
DOUBLE SARRC / DOUBLE SECS / TT at Barber Motorsports Park on August 27-28, 2016.

WE WILL NEED WORKERS

Registration is now open! Click here to go to Motorsportreg to register

We are paying $50/day plus lunch.
We have plans for a Saturday Night Social/BBQ and Beer Exchange.

We'll need:

Worker Chief: This is getting folks where they need to be. Assigning work stations to the many volunteers for our event. Making sure that we don't have first time workers paired up at stations and generally making sure we have plenty of folks to help out with this, our big once a year event.

Corner Marshals: Work on the front lines of racing. Flagging and Communication with race control and the drivers. A very important job, fun and exciting to do. Experience not essential as you'd be paired with a trained pro corner worker.

Grid: Helps to get the cars lined up in the proper grid spot and out on the track. Experience not essential as you'd be a part of the team of grid personnel.

Tech/Scrutineer: Inspect the racecars prior to the race. You need a license for this. Call or email SCCA and get a regional license. (membership@scca.com) It's that easy! You move up a license grade with experience.

Impound: Hot race cars need to be pushed across the scales to be weighed post race. Even hotter drivers need a cold wet towel and bottle of water handed to them to help cool them down. Experience not essential, but it's a vital job that needs to be done.

Trophy presenter: As easy as it sounds. Once through impound you check the final results and present the trophy to the race winner!

Paddock Marshals: Race car drivers sure can find their way around the track, but have a hard time finding their way through the paddock area. Here's where you can help. Friday evening we need people to help the folks find a spot to park their rigs and get in the right area to get a power hookup. Experience not essential.

Registration: Help drivers get checked in, paid up if needed, and ready for a weekend of racing. Experience not essential as you'd be part of a team. On the job training, it's the best way to learn.

Sound Control: You wouldn't think a racetrack needs to keep the sound levels in check but Barber has its limits. Help us keep track of the sound levels that the racercars put out. Pretty easy, stress free job and in a great location 50-feet off drivers left just past the museum turn. Experience not essential as you would be part of a team of Sound Control personnel.

Timing and Scoring: There are alot of cars going around the track, someone has to keep up with who's leading and what order the cars qualified. This is about results and the drivers are always craving the results. It's a vital job. No experience necessary because they offer on the job training as well as a seat in the air-conditioned control tower.

Announcers: The public address system operators provide a steady stream of information to the drivers in the paddock regarding schedule information as well as race commentary for the spectators watching all around the track. Experience is a plus and a team of 2 works well in this situation.

These are important jobs that need to be done.
I repeat; These are important jobs that need to be done.
Once more for those in the back row; These are important jobs that need to be done.

The more hands we have the easier the work will be.
Help us put on the best race in the South East Division and learn a valuable skill at the same time.

Thank you!
JohnW8

Last edited by JohnW8; 07-29-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added registration link
Old 05-26-2016, 07:46 PM   #2
chuck schultz
Pro-Racer

Sign me up for Sound Control. Also, I'm in the process of (that is, thinking about) requesting approval for an alternate location for Sound, because of the museum construction. I believe we'll be able to officially check sound levels driver's left, across from the apex at station 14, just past the tunnel. I'll make sure the race board knows when this spot has been approved.

http://csgoodphotos.com or http://art.csgoodphotos.com
Old 05-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck schultz View Post
Sign me up for Sound Control. Also, I'm in the process of (that is, thinking about) requesting approval for an alternate location for Sound, because of the museum construction. I believe we'll be able to officially check sound levels driver's left, across from the apex at station 14, just past the tunnel. I'll make sure the race board knows when this spot has been approved.
We've been talking with Zoom about an alternative site for sound. They were going to let us know if the Museum turn location would be available this year.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
MikyBasso
Rookie

Default Worker available

John,
can you sign me up for any position for Barber. Did last two TGPR as corner worker. I love to walk or run, so any moving position would be great.
As now it show registration suspended
Thanks
Miky Basso
Old 06-05-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
farrout
Driver

Registration for Barber has not opened yet. Cannot do that until we get supps approved and sanction numbers issued.

Not to worry, there are plenty of opportunities to work the event.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
FVee90
Driver

Awaiting SCCA to give a sanction number, so we are not 2 long from getting going ....before 2 other SARRC races on the schedule before us.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:55 AM   #7
cdambrose
Driver

I'm game for Impound.

On MSR there was no Worker 'Class' called Impound, I chose Scrutineer since it sounded close enough!

'04 Pure White Mazda Miata - STR 77

Last edited by cdambrose; 06-19-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 07:54 PM   #8
JohnW8
I like yellow.

That'll work!
Old 06-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
MikyBasso
Rookie

John,
Registered for worker today. Althought I did corner worker last two events I rather let you find the place where I can help best. Just let me know

Thanks
Miky
Old 06-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #10
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Thanks Miky!
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #11
thatgermanguy
Rookie

Im available all 3 days. Cant wait to help!!!

German by birth, American by choice
Old 06-29-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Thanks Chris!
Old 07-07-2016, 12:23 AM   #13
Jedi1
Is it simulation or stimulation?

Announcer Please and Thank You!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
rodhx
Rodinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi1 View Post
Announcer Please and Thank You!
Remember to go to motorsportsreg and register please. Tell Brian & John to get on board also
Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 AM   #15
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Good Monday morning ALSCCA!
We are about 6 weeks away from this event happening and we still need a lot of volunteers to help make it a smooth running event. Please sign up and help us put on a great event! There are plenty of positions available but our likely greatest need is corner marshals. We'll need 34 people to run the corners for 2 days. That's alot of people. Help us if you can so we can continue to provide the SEDIV racers with a good race weekend.
Thanks!
Old 07-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #16
FVee90
Driver

Thank you to all of y'all that have signed up to work early. Our biggest need is F&C still since we have 17 corners to work. On August 12 - I must use that F&C number that is signed up and then place and order for additional help if needed. So please sign up now or sign up before August 12th.
We have had a request for additional help in Registration (thanks Sara!) Friday afternoon/night and Saturday morning.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:13 PM   #17
JohnW8
I like yellow.

The Alabama Region and the Tennessee Valley Region do this annual race in order to provide for our membership an opportunity to race at a world class venue. As such we need the support of the membership to step up and volunteer your support for the club. We are in need of flagging and communications volunteers (corner workers) to cover the 17 corner stations around Barber Motorsports Park.

Your support can provide some safety and security for the drivers and a great view
of some close racing for you.
We need a head count by August 12 of corner workers.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM   #18
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Don't let the time slip away! Volunteer to work a corner at our club race on August 28-29. We need corner workers to step up and help out. These events don't happen without the support of all our friends and fellow club members. If you are available to help please sign up before august 12 so we can have accurate head count for our corner workers. Please help us if you can.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:03 PM   #19
JohnW8
I like yellow.

bump for updates.
Seriously. We're going to need some help putting this thing on. Signup today!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:48 PM   #20
jbass1911
Driver

I signed up for "I want to help but don't know where I'm needed." I'll work wherever no experience is necessary.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #21
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Thank you Josh!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:09 PM   #22
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Keep in mind you can volunteer for more than one position. We'll need help on Friday night getting folks moved in.

Paddock Marshals: Race car drivers sure can find their way around the track, but have a hard time finding their way through the paddock area. Here's where you can help. Friday evening we need people to help the folks find a spot to park their rigs and get in the right area to get a power hookup. Experience not essential.

We have maps to give the drivers so they can get an idea of where to park, then our trusted Paddock Marshals can help them to their spot and make sure they don't park across the access routes or takeover too much paddock area. Ricky Ragan has done this job, exceptionally well, for years. Usually 3-4 people can do the job. You get pizza and paid too!

Last edited by JohnW8; 08-04-2016 at 02:11 PM.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #23
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Tech needs help to get set up on Friday night as well as Grid. This is much like setting up for a day at Autox. Cones for grid, EZUP put in place, tables chairs, setting up the traffic flow, getting ice chests and water and gatorade in the coolers. Perfect job for an autocrosser. I usually do this one but I could use some help to get it done faster.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #24
MikyBasso
Rookie

John,
Is the Impound job still open? I like to be able to see and understand different cars and the SCCA GCR rules, so I tought maybe a closer look (helping in impound) would help me learn more about.

Miky Basso
Old 08-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #25
JohnW8
I like yellow.

Our big need right now is for corner workers. Your help would be appreciated in either position.
Closed Thread